No Formal Education, 40 plus years of learning from others and by “hands-on” practice.
- Self taught trades in order to support myself while learning and developing art, often giving away art for food.
- Worked under Hal Reed for five years as his assistant at the Art League of Los Angeles. Hal learned his techniques by studying under Nicolai Fechen and by working at Walt Disney Studios in Los Angeles.
- Taught art at the Art League and at several elementary schools in the L.A. area for five years.
- 1983 – 1986 Studied art in France: During much of that time I sold or gave away art in exchange for food. I painted, studied and traveled through France as much as I could while focusing on the improvement of my art skills.
- 1987 – 1993 I met John Kerr, a photographer and collector of art who also owned a large piece of run-down property. John Kerr gave me a place to stay on his property in exchange for pieces of art. I paid rent with my art and earned money for food by working to fix up the property. I worked just one day a week and spent the rest of the time studying or creating art. This went on for six years, seven days a week.
- 1993 – 2004 Worked as a professional artist in Southern California before moving to Washington